It’s been a really rough couple of days over here in Casa Browning. Our little Ollie boy had injured his back. His miniature Dachshund breed is notorious for back injuries. Since last Saturday he’s been taking it easy, spending most of the time in his crate. Everything was going seemingly well until earlier this week when I started noticing him getting weaker and weaker in his back legs. We were told to begin him on prednisone and let him rest in the crate.
Yesterday, I woke to find that Ollie was significantly worse. He didn’t even want to get out of his crate to potty and could barley stand on all fours, his left hind leg flaccid. Despite starting prednisone the previous day, he was declining. It was obvious that this course of treatment was not appearing to be working. I called the vet immediately and he was surprised that the steroid had not worked and said to get him to the neurologist right away.
Hours later we were checking Oliver in to the Veterinarian Specialty Hospital in Palm Beach Gardens. He was to have imaging tests done and be evaluated by the neurosurgeon. At this point, we weren’t sure what the outcome was going to be for Oliver. We had so many questions and I was a ball of nerves.
As soon as we got home from the veteraniarian’s office, I collapsed on the couch and began sobbing. It was only natural. Normally, I’d open the door to the house and Ollie would be there waiting for us wagging his little tail. But all that greeted us was was a white and beige dusty doormat. All around, were reminders that Ollie was not there. I actually noticed how many photos we have of him around the house, probably more than we should :) Jeremy met me on the couch. It was so comforting to have him there to pray for us.
That evening, we returned to the Vet Hospital with hopes of having a face to face consultation with the neurosurgeon (they said he would call us, but it’s always nicer to meet in person). While there, they brought Ollie back to us for a visit. He looked up at us with his big round eyes, his head in a white plastic cone and an IV line stuck in his paw. I couldn’t help but tear up.
After a while, the neurosurgeon, Dr.Clemons came in. He spoke to us for about 25 mins at least and educated us on all of the options as well as their outcomes. After lots of info, we felt that the best viable option for Oliver was to proceed with surgery.
This was not an easy decision to make. But The Lord had given us the dicernment we needed to make that decision when the time had come.
We left that evening with a weight that felt partially lifted. On one hand, we had all the concerns that you would have by putting your pet through surgery, but on the other hand, we had a lot of confidence in our surgeon and had prayerfully considered all options.
We now sit here in the waiting room. Ollie is in surgery and the procedure is almost complete. And those ball of nerves? There still there. But I am reminded of God’s provision during this time, and His sovereignty. Despite my nervousness, He is good. The Lord is righteous in everything he does; he is filled with kindness-Pslam 145:17